Sunday, November 18, 2012

What's so special about Israel anyway?

The saying goes if you have 2 Jews you will get 3 opinions.  So if you have 13.5 million of us worldwide (give or take) I guess that would make over 20 million different opinions. Wink.

I went to Israel for the first time on a tour in 2007.  As the pilot banked for our landing, the "special-ness" out of my window was already palpable.  But not explainable.

We stayed that first night in Tel Aviv.  Headed up the coast early the next day.  I had this image in my head that Israel would resemble the Sahara Desert for some reason.  Yet to our left and to our right, nothing but fertile fields. Everywhere. 

I don't mean to mislead you- there are PLENTY of desert vistas, if that's your thing.  But for some reason, people are shocked when they see photos of rolling hills, forests and farmland.  

But the Land.  I had a connection to the Land itself.  I mean, to the very dirt.  I know it sounds a little far fetched, but I really wanted to just roll around in it....throwing handfuls of it over my head.  Crazy? Perhaps.  But it's what I wanted to do. (I did restrain myself!).

To walk the cobblestone streets inside the Old City of Jerusalem...to pray at the Kotel.....to see the Sea of Galilee (the Kinneret)....to watch the sun set on the Mediterranean....to float in the Dead Sea....to hike up Masada....explore the falls at Ein Gedi....The beauty of the Jezreel Valley....walking around the ancient ruins of Beit She'an....I could go on and on.  Each site has it's own history and unique quality. 

In addition to all the places you can go see and experience, there is a "feeling" that permeates Israel. (Especially on Shabbat).  I have often tried to put that feeling into words.  The closest I have come after 5 years of trying is this:  It's a place where past and future unite in the NOW.  You are fully present in the present.   I can't say this is everyone's perception, but it's mine and I'm sticking with it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment