Sunday, January 6, 2013

What Is An Apostille?

Good Question!  I had never heard of one before I started this process.  Let's start with the word itself.  It is the French word for certification.  It's the international equivalent to a notarized document.

Look at it this way:  Most reading this blog live in the USA.  We have 50 states, but each state has its own certification of authenticity to certify documents.  Oregon's stamp does not look like Florida's stamp. (I've often wondered the same about Driver's licenses.  If you live in New York, and someone whips out their Colorado Driver's license, how are YOU to know it isn't a forgery?  You are used to dealing with your own state's official documents, not your neighbor's!) 

Now multiply THAT (x50 just for the USA) and how would Israel know what is real and what is counterfeit?  How would I know what is official in the Czech Republic?  Or Norway?  Or Israel, for that matter?

Under the Hague Convention of 1961, unified parameters were set up to alleviate this international dilemma.  Although each state in the USA would still have its own individual stamp, a document going to a country who has signed this Treaty would have the apostille attached in a prescribed manner and would include specific information to be filled out by each country or state. 

In my example, the State of California is verifying that my document was filed in a certain county, and that the stamp on my document is official.  My apostille is numbered as well.  Then the Apostille certificate was attached to the signature page of my certified copy, and a special stamp is placed on it to stamp both my document and the apostille certification at the same time--overlapping both pieces of paper.   The two halves of a whole. (I tried uploading some pics to show you, but the site isn't cooperating.  Will try again later!)

Each person who needs to have their documents verified as legitimate, must contact their Secretary of State where the papers were originally filed. I already had my original certified copy, and just mailed it in with a self addressed stamped envelope. (With the included processing fee, of course!) They attached the apostille to verify that it is an official document of the state, and returned it about 10 days later.


As of December 2012, California charges $20 to do it by mail, or $6 to do it in person.  Check your State's website for the current fee and mailing address.

I scanned the apostille, and submitted it to NBN.  I will be taking ALL of my documents to the face to face interview with the Jewish Agency for them to look over in person.  That interview doesn't happen until all of my paperwork is submitted.  I only have a few more items to check off of my list.  Yay!

I'm getting there!  Slowly but surely, I am making progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment