Thursday, December 27, 2012

Thoughts in Absentia

It was the morning of Friday, December 14th.  I was all ready to post about the shooting that had occurred at the Clackamas Mall in Oregon on December 11th, 2012. I had collected my thoughts not only about the tragedy itself, but also how hard it would be for that kind of violence to occur at an Israeli Mall....I opened my laptop and saw the news headlines about some school shooting somewhere, and turned on my television.

Unbelievable.  Incomprehensible.  As a mother, no, as a human being, I just ached inside for the senseless loss.  It shut me down emotionally to the point I couldn't even write.  I just thought.  And thought.

So often we spend time worrying about the future and/or things we cannot change. Or we put off till tomorrow many calls, visits, intentions, conversations....yet no one is promised a tomorrow. Some of us won't even have the rest of today. Think about it!  The rest of TODAY!

None of us can bring those who were murdered back to their families.  But I hope that we at least learn through the tragedy how precious life is.  SO precious.  Treasure all of the moments of life while yet we have life. 

Learn to put things into perspective. The next time you get frustrated at some minor inconvenience, think back to the horror of this day and ask yourself:  Does my x-y-z even matter?

And be thankful.  Thankful for all of the not-so-little things:  Sight. Taste.  Touch.  Smell.  Laughter.  Parents.  Children.  Grandchildren.  Family.  Health.  Love.  Friendship. 
Ad Infinitum.

Let your loved ones know how much they mean to you.  Don't waste an opportunity.  For death always comes when we least exp



No comments:

Post a Comment